Site remediation is the process of removing pollutants and contaminants from the soil and ground water. These contaminants pose risks to human health and the environment, they also reduce the fertility of the soil. In heavily contaminated areas, it is necessary to clean up the soil to protect the environment, prevent contamination-related diseases, and for cultivation purposes.
The purpose of site remediation
The most common contaminants present in soil are hydrocarbons (petroleum and fuel residue from a leaking storage tank), pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, solvents and heavy metals like lead, mercury, arsenic, and cadmium. Of these, lead is the most harmful to health. The widespread use of leaded paint and leaded gasoline before the mid-1980s is one of the major reasons for lead contamination in urban soil and ground water. The purpose of site remediation is to remove these contaminants from the soil and ground water.
The site remediation process
At All American Environmental, we employ all of the necessary site remediation techniques and services needed depending on the severity of the contamination.
- Investigation & Assessment: Our licensed site remediation professionals come to your property and do a thorough investigation and assessment.
- Submission of paperwork: We prepare and submit our findings in an all regulatory report to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP). This is required by law. If there has been discharge of heating oil or any other hazardous material to the soil or water to a degree that it exceeds the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) soil remediation standards (SRS) and groundwater quality standards (GWQS) the soil and or water must be remediated or “cleaned up” to bring the site back into compliance with the applicable environmental standard.
- Soil contamination found: When it has been determined that the soil has been contaminated we will start the process of excavation. We will manifest, transport and dispose of all that is contaminated, to an approved facility, followed by a soil vapor extraction. At All American Environmental, our excavating equipment and waste hauling vehicles are licensed and fully insured and will effectively perform a full range of projects on a turnkey basis, from the smallest homeowner oil tank leak to large-scale commercial and industrial remediation projects.
- Ground water contamination found: When it has been determined that the water has been contaminated we will start the process of dewatering with excavation using one of our vacuum trucks. We also install pumps and a multi-water point dewatering system. Our vacuum trucks will transport wastewater to a licensed recycling facility for disposal. When installing a pumping or dewatering system, we treat the contaminated groundwater on-site and discharge the water either back to the groundwater elsewhere on the site or to the local storm water drainage system, through an NJDEP-approved NJPDES permit. If only the water is contaminated with no ground soil contamination we can utilize a less complex method by installing a monitoring well in the center of the plume to remove the contaminated groundwater via Enhanced Fluid Recovery (EFR). This is performed with one of our vacuum trucks and can be quite effective.
- Source control, containment & management: This involves preventing soil contamination by isolating potential sources of pollution from surface and groundwater. Covering the waste with a waterproof cover limits the infiltration of rainwater and reduces the amount of leachate in the surrounding soil. Vertical slurry walls prevent the flow of contaminants from a polluted area to an unpolluted area. Clay, cement or synthetic liners can be used to contain soil contaminants. Ground water pump-and-treat systems can be used to hydraulically isolate and manage contaminated water. There are many strategies for source control and containment. Selection of a strategy depends on the type of soil, type and amount of contamination, and the climate of the area.
- Final Phase: We prepare deed restrictions and notify the NJDEP that work has been completed. Your site is now back in compliance with the applicable environmental standard. Your contaminated soil or water is gone and your property is now free of all contaminants.
Why should you hire us for site remediation?
We specialize in site remediation in urban sites as well as agricultural land. Our site remediation team of professionals are fully licensed and insured as well as have many years of experience.We are a preferred contractor with many insurance adjusters, carriers, and environmental consultants. But the real reasons you should hire us are:
- Custom solutions: Every site is different and needs a custom solution. We specialize in creating site-specific solutions
- Cutting-edge technology: We use the latest cutting-edge technology and equipment, which ensures accuracy and precision
- Fewer days and lower costs: We strive to complete each project in the shortest time possible so as to minimize the costs to our customers
- Environmentally-friendly: We are committed to protecting the environment and take pains to make sure that our solutions are environmentally-friendly.
- Regulatory requirements: We have the expertise and experience in addressing regulatory requirements for soil remediation.
Call us today for professional site remediation
If you need site remediation to be done on your property, get in touch with us. You can trust us to provide the highest-quality, environmentally friendly and economical site remediation nj service. Give us a call or send us an email. One of our knowledgeable and friendly site remediation representatives will be happy to assist you.
Visit our Facebook Page